Monday, September 1, 2014

Pondering The Infinite Wonders

One thing I like to do to whenever I have some time to spare is a fun personal project called Infinite Wonders. It's a superhero book that has rummaged around in Tristen Bagnall's head and my head for the past year or two. We enjoy working on the book whenever we can. Our plotting parties are legendary. I keep saying whenever because we always go back to it whenever we're done with other things because we enjoy adding more to this little world. It's the type of superhero comic we'd enjoy to see more of these days, so it feels liberating in many ways for the both of us. Currently working through the 2nd issue, which is a big bomber. Funny how the 1st issue was just normal sized and the 2nd one is bigger!
8x10 on bristol board. Pencil, ink, watercolors


Above's a small piece I did on the side to break things up a bit. Also helping me to start getting the feel for one character that is getting introduced soon in coming pages for me. That's one mistake I made working on the first issue. I don't think I allowed myself to get comfortable and it's something that is very apparent for me in my own critiquing. So I've been trying to remedy that hopefully by stretching and prepping more with exercises like this. Just do whatever, it's good for the head! Wanted to do something quieter but also inject some humor in there to throw that off balance.

Let's do some airobics. Yes, air.
What I meant about getting comfortable is that I'd like to be sure, especially for characters that are pretty important. Back to the beginning of the road for this one, she started out looking less streamlined. Just standard fare with the jacket on top. Lightweight boots going above the knees and gloves going up past the elbows. Something that felt light would be good since she can control gravity, breeze around and whatnot. That's partly why I think a regular ol jacket was bothering me.

Now let's just dance in the sky while we're at it.

I started trying to find ways to get the lightweight flows going on in the back by making it integrated into the costume more. Boots and gloves also became less sterile. Feels more fun that way, bringing that up-down levels motif more into play. That you can drop up or down or do whatever when she's around. One point it started becoming kinda 80s with the poofy shoulderpads. Big goggles were still fitting, I thought. Displays the wide-eyed youthfulness (both have big goggles for that reason). Also good for flying around in the air!

Almost there. Now do a long jump.

Slighter changes started to signal to myself that it was getting there, and after a few more tests I was happier with the design. Got a few more Infinite Wonders things I can show soon. I think my next post might be about Timespace, though. YOU CAN WATCH IT HERE, BY THE WAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment